Burlesque dancing is a fun and sensual method of performance with over 100 years of history. Burlesque is not a simple striptease, done right its an art form. Learning how to burlesque dance well takes dedication and a spirit of playfulness.
Here are some tips on how to burlesque dance.
1. The first thing you should do is watch as many burlesque performances as you can. Watch burlesque videos and visit a burlesque club or event there is nothing like watching a live performance to get a sense of the heady mixture of sexiness and playfulness. Take a little note pad and jot down your impressions of things you liked and things you didn’t like. Use this list to develop your own style when the time comes.
2. Look into the history of the burlesque show by reading some articles or books. Understand that the history of burlesque was intended to not only be a little playful and naughty, but also a social commentary and provocative food for thought.
3. Watch how to burlesque dance videos and/or sign up for a burlesque classes. Consider ordering a how to video online if you are in an area that doesn’t offer a burlesque dance class.
4. Pick a character or group of characters to portray during your performances. This should be a character you can personally relate to. It should be something sexy but can also be slightly comical. Many burlesque dancers invoke the spirit of pin up as this captures a time in history that was rife with social commentary. Develop a dance routine around this character persona.
6. Make the decision early on about how much clothing (if any) you plan to take off during your performances. Make sure that your dance is tasteful as burlesque differs from stripping in that the sensuality comes from the sense of mystery and subdued sexuality as opposed to overt sexuality. The emphasis is on the tease not the strip.
5. Choose songs or a set of songs that sets a tone for what you are trying to convey. Here are some burlesque music suggestions.
7. Take classes in other forms of dance such as ballet and jazz, since these dances are strong influences in burlesque style. Utilize these various forms in your own routines to capture the eclectic spirit of burlesque dancing.
Good luck and have fun. We love burlesque we hope you will too.